Top Ten Mashgiach Pickup LinesLast night I showed a movie from my Israeli DVD collection, Chagiga B'Snooker. It is considered by many to be the funniest movie ever produced in Israel (an interesting review can be found here). A major part of the plot involves pool-shark and con-artist Gavriel posing as his religious twin brother Azrael in order to trick a Rabbi so his brother will marry his daughter. In fact this motif (and many of the specific gags) is almost identical to another legendary Israeli comedy: Kuni Lemel b'Tel Aviv. I'm sure there are many other Israeli movies like this and there are a bunch of American movies too: The Parent Trap and her remakes and any movie with the Olsen Twins is certain to have mistaken identity with twins.
(in honor of KosherFest this Sunday/Monday at the Javits Center in NYC)
10. You've got all the kosher ingredients I need.
9. Put you near any pilot-light and you'll turn it on.
8. I'd be on your premises at all times.
7. This restaurant just lost its hashgacha, care to lose yours?
6. You are so hot - yad soledes bo!
5. You are 1 in a 60th.
4. Just like Basar v'Chalav (meat/milk), opposites attract.
3. You must have special powers? cause you give me extra super vision
2. You're a major Kashrut violation, everytime look at you, all i can think about is treifus
1. What's your hashgacha (sign)?
This is hardly a new storyline. The original writer of the archetype: God (or according to some J and E). Jacob and Esau (a different J & E, though I didn't think of this before I put in the previous line) are definitely not identical, but similar enough that Jacob can trick his father Isaac into blessing him in a case of mistaken identity and trickery. Apparently people find this funny because so many comedy movies have adapted the theme. Who said the Bible wasn't hip and couldn't speak to the youth of today? Who ever thought Lindsay Lohan would debut in a movie based on the Bible?
Candlelighting is about to begin so I will have to put this on hold until after Shabbos...