Sunday, February 05, 2006

Are you ready for some football... followed immediately by 13 hours of class?

The Super Bowl indeed is broadcasted on Israeli Cable. However, it is 7 hours later than NYC and 10 hours later than LA. Should I watch the Super Bowl, I will have the opportunity for a Vatikin Shacharit at Half-Time and if the game goes into overtime, I may have to miss some of my first class (or the other way around as I think my priorities need to go toward school). Besides, I wasn’t able to fall asleep last night. Two days without sleep is not a good idea, especially since this Monday I go from 8:30 AM to 9 PM. Also, I don’t really care about the teams as the ones I had any interest in, namely the Patriots, Bengals, and Redskins were all eliminated. In honor of Jeff and Abby, however, I will back the Steelers. Yet another support against watching: no American commercials. I figure that if you spend $2.6 million on an ad, it should show worldwide, even if the product advertised is not applicable to those outside the contiguous United States. That or at least an “Ad Special” that they would broadcast following the Super Bowl. I love those ads.

I have made the descision to go back to Dalet Talmud so that I can keep taking Chumash. The provision I have set is that the professor of Talmud Hey will continue to give me the sheets of Rishonim to satisfy my later commentators fix. I find this similar to the time in 12th Grade in which my schedule was forcibly changed around due to the WISE project and I was forced to leave Honors Jewish Law and take the regular class, but I was held to a higher standard so that I could keep the class as honors as the class moved at a way too slow pace. Daled also moves at a crawl, but what can I do? I don’t want to drop the most advanced Chumash class so I can’t take a Talmud class that meets one more day a week and therefore conflicts with one of the Chumash classes.

In similar news, my Talmud chevruta today was none other than Mike Knopf who is checking out Pardes today for a way to spend his semester. He too thinks this class moves too slowly. When you major in Talmud, everything moves slowly.

What I am probably going to do is sleep as soon as I get home (so around 7 PM) and wake up for a Super Bowl party at a friend’s house.


UPDATE 10:52 PM
Perhaps not, as kickoff* is only 2 hours away and I am currently awake. I think this will be the first year I have missed the super bowl since as long as I can remember. I remember at least 15 of them. Wow. This is big. However, I don't feel I'd be missing much more than I would if I went to this party. We don't even get the insane commercials (which I can probably download tomorrow anyway). I'm just going to go to bed. I am currently getting mixed advice from my friends via IM. You can weigh in on this by posting to my comments area. Even after the superbowl actually happens. Enjoy the Dougies those of you watching at Hillel. If I were in NYC, I would already be there.

*Actual kickoff and coin-toss will occur 2 hours after said starting time.

No comments: