Thursday, February 16, 2006

I like Eilat A Lot (say it aloud)

I just returned from a 3-day Tiyul to the southernmost tip of Israel, the resort-city of Eilat on the Red Sea. I loved the trip. It was filled with hiking, some of which was quite intense as it included long durations, narrow ledges, steep inclines, cables and ropes, unbeaten trails, rocks galore, and no handrails or safety. That and the pair of hiking boot I bought for $6 fell apart. That's what I get, I guess. There was some beautiful scenery which I will soon upload to my facebook photos. I also bonded with people I hardly even knew before. I found a good number of people who either spoke Yiddish, or spoke German and could therefore understand what I was saying. I had a number of long conversations in Yiddish on this trip.

We also went out to the self-proclaimed "World's Only Underwater Restaurant" (probably not true) to celebrate my friend Evan's 1st anniversary of his conversion to Judaism. I mentioned in my toast (after my original toast idea for comparing his conversion to Yitro's in this week's Torah portion was preempted) that most Jewish anniversaries include some sort of recreation of the original event, such as living in booths on Sukkot, and eating matzah and holding a seder on Pesach. I told him that he should be thankful that there is no such reliving in terms of anniversaries of conversions.
I shared a hotel room with a Russian and a German. We practically had a Yalta Conference and Non-Aggression Pact rolled into one. The Russian and I were about to build a wall within the German's space. Not really. In fact, most of what I just said is probably historically inaccurate.

Also at the hotel, the Adi Hotel, stayed Nativ. I talked to a number of the students and also ran into people I knew.

Today I swam in the Red Sea. I reinacted the spliting of Yam Suf where my ancestor, Nachshon Ben Aminadav (as seen in my family tree) is the first to walk into the sea and it does not split until the water reaches his nose. Yes, I know that the Red Sea is NOT the Reed Sea (well, maybe) and that Yam Suf is an unfortunate and misleading name, but a boy can dream, can't he?

On the busride home we watched "Remember the Titans". I really enjoyed it. It is very similar to "Glory Road", both of which are based on true stories but with different sports.

I will try to mention more later. I am quite tired from everything.

No comments: