Sunday, February 12, 2006

Tu Bishvat... part Tu

Blogspot is having issues now so I can’t edit existing journals. I wanted to mention what I have had so far in terms of my fruit requirement

1. Wine & Grape Juice (x 4 sanctioned cups) * (grape)

2. Dates *

3. Clementines

4. Avocados

5. Almonds

6. Pistachios

7. Pecans

8. Walnuts

9. Pomegranates*

10. Olives AND Olive oil (justifying two different renderings of the translation of the verse)*

11. Persimmons

12. Carobs

13. Wheat* (in the form of a handful of Bamba cereal, three flakes of Shokoman (the most racist cereal ever), and a mini-malawah)

14. 15.  cherry and cranberry in the form of juice

16. Hummous

17. Zaatar (which includes hyssop, sumac, and sesame)

18. Garlic (found within

*indicates one of the seven species enumerated in Deuteronomy 8:8

 אֶרֶץ חִטָּה וּשְׂעֹרָה וְגֶפֶן וּתְאֵנָה וְרִמּוֹן אֶֽרֶץ־זֵית שֶׁמֶן וּדְבָֽשׁ:

“A land of wheat and barley and [grape]vine, and fig and pomegranate, a land of olive oil and [date-]honey”

 

I’m still yet to have figs, barley, grapes in grape form. I guess I should also track down some date-honey

 

Tu Bishvizzle Samizzle,

 

            M

-----------------------------------------------------------

Matthew Rutta

Jerusalem, ISRAEL

 

 

No comments: